My Favorite Things (Why I Blog)
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens…
Okay, well not exactly, but then again I don’t hate those things either
Because my blog is a little bit of this and a little bit of that, I wanted to devote a page specifically to my favorite things so that as a reader, you have a better idea about who I am, and why I blog.
My blog is about finding joy and balance…and that is because I have a lot of interests, and I try to keep them all organized somehow, and also remember why it is I am who I am.
So here are my favorite things:
I absolutely love to dance. I have been dancing in some form on and off since I was little. I have taken ballet, swing, and hip hop mostly, with a little jazz/contemporary and character thrown in the mix. I danced ballet en pointe in high school as well as performed swing with a high school dance club, and more recently performed hip hop with a local street team. I get a lot of inspiration from dance, and it makes me feel free and happy. I can leave the regular world behind for a few moments and just enjoy the music and energy running through me.
Singing is another passion of mine. I have been singing since I was little as well. I sang in church plays and church bands and choirs. I also sang in high school choirs, as well as a 2 choirs in college. I even got to go on a choir tour to China in college! I also sang backup for a little while in one of my Fluffy’s bands. We were called Beautimous, and I even got to perform at the Whiskey on the Sunset Strip! (Yeah that was apparently my 15 minutes). I also really enjoy karaoke, and Christmas caroling, and pretty much any other opportunities to sing.
Clearly I like reading and writing since I have a blog, so that’s kind of a no-brainer, but just to elaborate, my passion for reading and writing goes way back. My Mom used to read to me eery night when I was little. She would pull me out of bed after my siblings were asleep and it instilled a love of words in me. English has always been my best subject, and I am a total nerd when it comes to essays and books, etc. I actually own things like the Norton Anthology Of Poetry on purpose. I like to write poems, many of which you will see randomly throughout my blog. I like to read all different types of books, and I like to review them or compare them to the movie version on my blog.
I have always had a general interest in health and fitness. I could spend hours reading up on health and fitness. I used to help my mom with her shopping lists and meal planning when I was little. I created charts and lists to help her figure out what to cook and what she needed to buy. I would say it drove her nuts except she taught me about list making and planning, so really she can’t get mad (love you Mom!). I love to bake cookies, and even created my own cookie making business at the ripe old age of 10 to help pay for my ballet classes. I love catching up on the latest in nutrition articles, blogs, and books, and I love to study nutrition independently so that I can take care of myself and my Fluffy. I am not the best cook in the world, but I make it work, and it is fun for me to do. I make a lot of smoothies.
As far as fitness, dance has always been huge, but I also studied martial arts as a teen, and did really well with it. Because of dance, I was very flexible and could always kick really high. The flashy Japanese/Cajun street fighting style I did was perfect to showcase my skills, and I won 3 state titles and a national title in my division. I don’t currently study martial arts, but it would be fun to go back. In addition, I take classes at my gym, and also go on slightly pathetic excuses for runs/jogs. I own lots of tubes, hand weights, a kettlebell, weighted ball, etc and I love to try new exercises with them at home. I get ideas from books, magazines, classes at the gym, other blogs, etc. I like to mix it up so I don’t get bored.
I also like to play Disc Golf. I am not the best at it, but my Fluffy really likes it. It totally counts as a hike because it takes 1-2 hours going up and down dirt paths through hills and creek beds to get through the course. It’s similar to regular golf, except you use a special kind of Frisbee disc, and baskets with chains. (More info here.)
6) Other stuff
Some other interests of mine are:
- Makeup (I love playing with it, buying it, and being creative with it). I was a counter manager for a makeup line for awhile, and have worked as a makeup artist freelance. It’s just tons of fun for me, and I hook friends up for their big days like weddings and other special occasions.
- Music. Clearly I like music since I dance and sing, but I also love to listen to it in general. I love discovering new artists, and sitting back to listen to my favorites. They inspire me to dance and sing, as well as to relax and just be.
- Couponing. I am not a crazy coupon lady (yet) but I do keep a binder and collect various different coupons regularly. It’s fun to do, and saves you lots of money on groceries. This comes in handy because it enables me to buy more special or fun items I wouldn’t be able to buy if I didn’t plan ahead and use coupons.
- Renaissance Fairs. I am a total dork. I go to renaissance fairs a few times a year with a pirate guild, and I dress up full-on with the makeup, big skirts, corset, and accessories including furry handcuffs (oh yeah baby). Part of it is the dressing up, shopping for costumes, etc. The other part is camping for the weekend surrounded by fun people, and renaissance themed culture.
- Chocolate. Especially dark chocolate! I am mildly obsessed with it. I love trying different kinds, and I have a total sweet tooth when it comes to chocolate.
Sooo…these are a few of my favorite things…I blog because I like to keep track of them all, and make sure I get to spend time doing these things and not getting stuck in front of the television or working too much or something. I get inspired by doing these things, and it is fun to share these interests with the world.
Thanks for reading!